SHCA is working on a compromise with developer.
5th Street Development News
Society Hill Civic Association presented the following news on the 5th Street Development at three meetings in the last two weeks: on Monday, May 10th at St. Peter’s Parish House (the meeting was moved to Old Pine Church) and at the Board and General Membership Meetings last week Wednesday, May 17th at Pennsylvania Hospital.
SHCA has entered into settlement negotiations with the developer, Alterra for both sides of the commercial district on 5th Street between Spruce and Pine Streets. Alterra, which now has ownership of both sides of 5th Street at this location, has proposed the following development:
– Keeping the ACME store on the east side of 5th Street with no change to the height of the building
– Entering into a long term lease with the ACME
– Keeping the exterior of the ACME building the same except for giving ACME the right to build a one story 2,500 square foot addition on the north side of the building (facing the parking lot)
– Entering into a long term lease with CVS for use of the entire building on the west side of the street — the existing stores (State Liquor Store, Food & Friends, and the dry cleaners) would not remain
– Keeping the building on the west side of the street the same except for an 11′ by 32′ “bump-out” on the back of the building near Cypress Street (the northwest corner)
The details of the Settlement Agreement are still being worked out. Once the Settlement Agreement has been approved by the three appellant groups (SHCA, and two groups of near neighbors represented by two different attorneys), we will notify the community. Note: the SHCA Board approves agreements on behalf of the association.
A long term lease for a slightly larger supermarket may be in the offing
Just a reminder that the trash collection is delayed 1 day due to the Memorial Day Holiday.×